Sunday 27 January 2013

Rimmel Apocalips: Big Bang




I'm sure you've all been waiting for them, this week the Rimmel Apocalips finally hit the shelves. The people at Rimmel clearly know what they're doing, by the time I'd seen several posts by the big beauty bloggers about these I was desperate to get my hands on them.

After trialing the Apocalips for a few days I've decided I love them, but every silver lining has it's cloud so there are some niggles I have with them. There's a lot of points to make so I've compiled them into a nice list for you all (let's face it, we all love a good list). 

The good!

v The colour is absolutely beautiful. It's a classic red which I find suites my skin tone well, and has a gorgeous glossy finish. After an hour or so it does lose the glossy look, and turns into a satin finish. If you so wish, you can easily top it up to get back the glossy gorgeousness.

v They are incredibly easy to apply. Whenever I try and apply any sort of bright or dark colour I end up spending forever putting it on, and then carefully wiping around the edge of my lips with a tissue for the next hour. Due to the smooth formula these glide on so quickly, you really have to try it to believe it. The doe foot applicator has a little well in it which holds a lot of product, so you're not dunking the wand back in the tube every five minutes.

vThe texture. I can't stand anything sticky or suffocating on my lips, which is why I hardly ever use lipglosses. When I first pulled the wand out of the tube I thought it would be a disaster, but once applied there is no stickiness and is very comfortable to wear.

v These have some serious lasting power. Like I said, they stay glossy for about an hour or so, but overall the colour lasts for a good 4 or 5 hours without topping up. When they begin to fade they can tend to go a bit patchy, but it's nothing a quick blend out with your finger can't solve.

      The not so good...

v Due to the liquid consistency, they can smudge. Unlike a lipstick they don't really set or dry, and although that isn't a problem with a normal lipgloss, these are so intensely pigmented so it can get messy. I also found it does bleed slightly.

v Now this can be seen as both a positive and a negative, but these stain, and they stain bad. Normally this would please me and stain normally equals more longevity, but when they smudge so easily it's not a great combination. You pretty much need to be accurate on first application, which isn't hard due to the wand, but it's nice to be able to wipe away any slips if you need to.

 v The smell isn't great. To me it smells quite sort of like artificial watermelon, but it doesn't bother me too much as once it's on you can't smell it. However if you're one of those people who can't stand anything scented near their face, then you may have a problem. 


Overall I can't deny I love the Apocalips, mainly down to the gorgeous colour and ease of application. I definitely think I'll pick up some other colours, maybe the nuder ones. What are your thoughts on the Apocalips? Did they live up to your expectations? Let me know!

10 comments:

  1. The colour is awesome. I think I must pick one or two shades up!!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the exact same shade, it's gorgeous but I HATE the smell and taste-it reminds me of cucumber! Cucumber scents are fine when it comes to skincare, but it's not something that I want on my lips x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its gorgeous and bright :) I shall keep my eyes peeled for this, i'd love to give it a try x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, i really like your blog and your picture:)
    you want to follow each other via gfc and bloglovin ?

    I would be happy :)

    lovely greetings, lucia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blog! The colour is so gorgeous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really wanna try these and that colour looks great!
    Shame they smudge though!

    eyelashwishes-x.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so incredibly glossy, it looks beautiful!

    flawedfairytle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey i am nominating you for a Liebster award, still editing my post but will be on later on this evening! check it out x
    glambeautys.blogspot.co.uk

    x liza x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review, can't believe I only just heard about these today!
    Rachel

    I've just started my blog so it would be great if you could check it out :D

    pillar-boxpost.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, the smell could have been better but the colour looks amazing on you :)

    Check out my lipstick giveaway including MAC and more.

    Mintyessence

    Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting lovelies!